Friday, January 15, 2010

Could Hitt’s Eulogy for Hickey Fit on a Tombstone?

President Hitt on the retirement of his number two guy:

His support for the professoriate inspired a vibrant scholarship of teaching and learning initiative and also created new career paths for university professionals.

I have never ever heard a rank and file professor (i.e., one without administrative aspirations) opine that Hickey has inspired their teaching.

Although I give Hitt most of the credit, Hickey helped usher in the do-nothing lackey administrator as a “new career path for university professionals.”

Hickey did pave the way for short people with Napoleonic complexes to become higher education administrators.*

* I feel I’ve done enough short jokes, but a good friend and uncredited writer for some of my blog posts told me “not to quit until Hickey quits.”