Monday, March 10, 2008

Layoff Heston; Promote Binette

While reading this story about how UCF has hired an engineering firm to study the structural integrity of their brand new stadium, I was struck by how bad Heston’s quotes are (for example, see this post). Heston is too definitive when he says it is a maintenance issue and not a safety issue. Heston is not an engineer, and he doesn’t know what the study will find. I agree there is probably not an immediate safety threat, but for some reason Heston’s sureness is off-putting.

On the other hand, I’ve noticed that Binette actually does a good job of making a convincing argument even though I may disagree with his position (for example, see this post). Because getting rid of the entire News and Information Staff isn’t going to happen, I suggest laying off Heston, promoting Binette, and not hiring a replacement for Binette. This would save enough dough to hire one instructor.