Thursday, March 26, 2009

150th Post

I’ve gotten a lot of nice emails, but this is the first one critical of something I’ve written. I’m printing it without comment:

Most of your blogs are good. But that was not cool to post a link about the new football coach getting two DUIs (http://ucflovesmoney.blogspot.com/2009/01/so-it-goes.html). Why would you do that - how long ago was that - 13/16 years ago? That man has nothing to do with athletics getting more $ than departments. Should the college look at how much $ they spend on athletics - sure. Should they cut money - possibly. But as a graduate (both UG and GRAD) I am glad UCF is trying to build up the football program - even though I don't know anything about football I know when I am in a job interview people will ask me about the Knights. Do they ask about some obscure research done by a math prof - no - they ask about football. It doesn't make it right - and sure it sucks. But it isn't that man's problem. And at the end of the day most of the jocks will be back in school to get a real education after their athletic career ends - just like when I was getting my masters at UCF- I sat next to a former NFL player. His degree in communications didn't get him as far as he thought it would. So let the people in athletics have the little bit of glory they can get.